Tuesday, July 01, 2014

Industry Analysis - Pet Food

These are sources of information, links, programs, and resources for people interested in starting a pet food manufacturing business.

Published By: Knowledgeman
Published: 2014-07-01
Revised: 2014-07-10

Goto Table of Contents
Goto Industry Information (Main Page)

Pet Food Industry

The Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture requires facilities manufacturing and/or guaranteeing animal feed to have a Commercial Feed License. The first step in obtaining a commercial feed license is to ensure your pet food has been properly tested to determine the protein, fat, fiber and moisture content. You can find testing laboratories by searching the internet for ‘animal feed testing laboratories’. With this information, you will want to compose a label that details the guaranteed analysis (min crude protein, min crude fat, max crude fiber, max moisture), a complete list of ingredients in order of predominance, directions for use (if limited purpose food or contains medications), the name and address of the manufacturer/guarantor and the net weight of the package. The next step is to find and choose a company that provides packaging and labeling printing services. Refer to Pennsylvania Pet Food Regulations for further information regarding labeling requirements.

Once everything has been processed and the product labels have been approved, your facility will be issued a Commercial Feed License, which will give you the authority to sell your pet food anywhere within the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. If you intend to market either through the internet, mail order or other means of distribution interstate, there are requirements that must be met in each state before sale and distribution. You may find the contact information for each state at AAFCO. The Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) also has an Official Publication that provides information on model animal feed regulations, model pet food regulations and pet food profiles and feeding protocols and has a comprehensive list of approved feed ingredients. In addition, there is a portal entitled, “The Business of Pet Food”, which is very helpful.

In addition to Pennsylvania requirements, there may be additional requirements with the Pennsylvania Department of Revenue for sales tax and Pennsylvania Department of State for fictitious names for businesses under their Bureau of Professional and Occupational Affairs. You may also want to check with your insurance agent to determine if there is a need for product liability insurance for this enterprise.

Finally, you will want to be sure to check with your local municipality for the appropriate ordinances of running a business from your home. I assume that you are not making and selling food for human consumption from this location. There would be other issues that would be regulated by our Bureau of Food Safety and Laboratory Services should that be the case.

Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture
Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture: Commercial Feed Division
Pennsylvania Commercial Feed Act (pdf)
Pennsylvania Pet Food Rules and Regualtions (pdf)
Application for a Commercial Feed License (pdf)
Apply for Commercial Feed License online

The Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO): How to start a pet food company: http://www.petfood.aafco.org/StartingaPetFoodBusiness.aspx

Regulations concerning pet food labeling: http://www.petfood.aafco.org/LabelingLabelingRequirements.aspx#labeling

Pennsylvania Pet Food Production Regulations
PA Department of Agriculture Commercial Feed regulations and assistance: http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_24476_10297_0_43/http%3B/

Laboratory Analysis for Product Labeling
Pet food and commercial feeds sold to the public must have an FDA approved ingredients label on the product packaging. There are many pet food testing laboratories through out the United States that will conduct a nutritional and/or toxilogical analysis of your animal feeds (including pet foods and treats) for a fee. This will cost between $500 and $1,000 per product, depending on the lab. You can find a listing of Pennsylvania testing laboratories and other states as well, here: http://petfood.aafco.org/TestingLaboratories.aspx or here:

Find more companies that can help you do pet food nutritional nutritional and/or toxilogical analyses: Google Search: nutritional analysis laboratory

Some labs that I called:

Silliker Labs of PA
Northeast Laboratory
6390 Hedgewood Drive
Allentown, PA 18106
Tel: 610-366-9257 or 312-938-5151\

Jay Rucker
Sales Account Representative
EMSL Analytical, Inc.
975 Morrison Drive
Building C Suite A
Charleston SC 29403
Phone: (843) 628-3132
Fax: (843) 958-8175
Toll Free: (888) 958-8170
Email: jfrasca@emsl.com
Website: http://www.emsl.com/

Costs estimate, to license, nutritional analyze, label and package pet food:
Pet food license fee: $25
Pet food tonage fee: $25
Pet food nutritional laboratory analysis: $750 - $1,000
Pet food label and package: $500 - $2,000

Individuals to call and email with questions pertaining to pet food and commercial feeds:

Erin Bubb
Chief, Division of Agronomic & Regional Services
Regional Inspection Staff
(717) 772-5215

Barbara Buckingham
Administrative Support, Agronomic Programs
Feed, Fertilizer, Lime, Soil/Plant Amendment Licensing/Tonnage Reporting
(717) 705-0816

David Dressler
Program Specialist
Feed, Fertilizer, Lime ad Soil/Plant Amendments
(717) 772-5216

Federal Pet Food Production Regulations
United States Food & Drug Administration: http://www.fda.gov/animalveterinary/products/AnimalFoodFeeds/PetFood/default.htm

Other Links and Information
Harrisburg University Food Science & Technology Center
Institute of Food Technology

Google Search: pet food industry
Google Search: pet food industry statistics
Google Search: starting a pet food business
Google Search: pet food regulations

1 comment:

Mary Santago said...

Your articles make whole sense of every topic.Pet Food industry overview